7 March 2023, 17:15 – 18:45 AST
The world’s Least Developed Countries (LDCs) are in a race against time to deliver the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. The Fifth United Nations Conference on the Least Developed Countries (LDC5) is a once-in-a-decade opportunity to accelerate sustainable development in the places where international assistance is needed the most.
As the only intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law, IDLO has long supported LDCs on investment-related matter and is contributing substantively to the implementation of the Doha Programme of Action (Doha PoA).
The LDC5 is a unique opportunity for IDLO to showcase its achievements and work in LDCs, in particular under the Investment Support Programme for Least Developed Countries (ISP/LDCs).
IDLO’s side-event “Leveraging the rule of law to support LDCs in achieving the 2030 Agenda and the Doha Program of Action: The contribution of the Investment Support Program for LDCs” taking place on 7 March 2023 will highlight how:
- IDLO is supporting and will continue to support the implementation of the Doha PoA.
- Having sound legal and policy frameworks, as well as well-functioning and fair institutions, is crucial to attract and retain foreign direct investment (FDI).
- Initiatives such as the Investment Support Programme for Least Developed Countries exemplify IDLO’s work in assisting LDCs to create enabling environments for FDI and help to achieve economic development that is inclusive and sustainable.
- Recent crises have shown the key role of trustworthy and fair institutions and how transparent and coherent legal systems are absolutely necessary to operate within the framework of rule of law.
- IDLO’s work within the realm of rule of law, putting in place legal frameworks, ensuring equality, equity, economic, social justice is more relevant than ever.
- IDLO provides policy support; contributes to development of fair, transparent and coherent legal and policy frameworks; supports women in the judiciary systems; advocates for equality and equity.