HIGH-LEVEL SIDE EVENT
Equality for women and girls is a right in itself and is being advanced by Goals 5 and 16 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. An increasing number of international policy and legal instruments affirm that access to justice is not only essential to equality for women and girls, but is central to the enjoyment of other rights and critical to achieving peaceful and inclusive societies.
Organized during the 38th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, this high-level side event will highlight achievements in advancing women’s access to justice, gender equality and women’s empowerment by investing in rule of law and access to justice programs on the ground in every region of the world.
This side-event is organized by IDLO in partnership with the Rule of Law Group of the United Nations Human Rights Council, and is part of IDLO’s commitment to championing access to justice for women and girls, including through its role in the recent inaugural meeting of the High-level Group on Justice for Women.
13:00 – 14:30 | Monday, June 25, 2018
Room XXIV, Palais des Nations, Geneva
- Ms. Irene Khan, Director-General, International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
- Hon. Ihsan Zuhdi Barakat, Justice, Supreme Court of Jordan
- Ms. Jan Beagle, United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Management
- Mr. Diego García-Sayán, Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers
- H.E. Athaliah Lesiba Molokomme, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Botswana to the United Nations and other International Organizations in Geneva
- Ms. Sima Samar, Chair of the Afghan Human Rights Commission and former Minister of Women’s Affairs of Afghanistan
The panellists will engage in interactive discussion with time for audience participation.
Light refreshments will follow, offered by the Permanent Mission of the United Kingdom.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Social media information:
Follow on Twitter @IDLO, #JusticeforWomen or #ChampionsofJustice
The event is organized by IDLO in partnership with the Human Rights Council’s Rule of Law Group comprising the Permanent Missions in Geneva of Ethiopia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Morocco and the United Kingdom.