HIGH-LEVEL PUBLIC EVENT
An independent judiciary is critical to promoting peaceful and inclusive societies as envisaged in Goal 16 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Organized during the 35th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council, this high-level public event will mark the presentation to the Council of the annual report by the Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers, Mr. Diego García-Sayán.
18.30 - 20.00
Monday, June 12, 2017
Auditorium Pictet, The Graduate Institute, Maison de la Paix, Geneva
- Mr. Rogier Huizenga, Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- Ms. Irene Khan, Director-General, International Development Law Organization (IDLO)
- Mr. Diego García-Sayán, Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers
- Hon. Lady Justice Prof. Lillian Tibatemwa-Ekirikubinza, Justice of the Supreme Court of Uganda
- Hon. Najet Ben Salah, Head, International Cooperation, Ministry of Justice, and formerly Judge, Supreme Court of Tunisia
- Prof. Nico Krisch, Albert Hirschman Centre on Democracy, The Graduate Institute
- Mr. Murray Hunt, Legal Adviser to the Joint Committee on Human Rights of the UK Parliament
- Dr. David Sadoff, Executive Director, Center for Ethics and Rule of Law, University of Pennsylvania
The panellists will engage in interactive discussion with time for audience participation.
A cocktail reception will follow.
Registration for this event is now closed.